The poacher's progress : in eight plates / from paintings by C. Blake ; engraved, in colours, and published by C. Turner, no. 50, Warren Street, Fitzroy Square.
- [London] : [C. Turner], 1826.
- Physical Description:
-  leaf, 8 leaves of plates : chiefly ill. ; 46 x 59 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio B 2011 21Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Plates 1, 2, and 5 are signed: "Painted by I.L. Turner, from a sketch by C. Blake. Engraved by C. Turner." Plates 3, 6, 7, and 8 are signed: "Painted by C. Blake. Engraved by C. Turner." Plate 4 is signed: "Painted by C. Blake. Engraved by R. Havell Junr."
Plates are dated 1825-1826.
"Price twelve shillings each or £4:12 the set. Bound in boards, £5:5."--Title page.
Five of Blake's original watercolors reproduced here are now in the collections of the Yale Center for British Art (Department of Prints and Drawings, B2001.2.666-670).
Snelgrove, D. British sporting and animal prints, p. 48
BAC: British Art Center copy unbound. Has laid in the original printed cover label, on green paper.
Set of 8 hand-colored aquatints depicting the act and consequences of poaching.
- Subject Terms:
- Hunting -- Great Britain -- Pictorial works.Poachers -- Great Britain -- Pictorial works.Poaching -- Great Britain -- Pictorial works.Turner, C. -- Publisher.
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1826.
- Poachers setting the snare
- Poachers taking the struggling hare from the noose
- Poachers stalking for partridges
- Poachers snaring pheasants
- Poachers meeting the keepers
- Poachers scuffling with the constables in the skittle ground
- Poachers before the magistrates
- Poachers in prison (the pardon).