[Album of gem tintype portraits].
- [New England], [ca. 1860-1880]
- Physical Description:
- 1 album (20 photographs) : tintype ; 48 x 42 mm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsCS71 .H37 1860 FlatYale Center for British Art, Gift of Martha LovejoyView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Undetermined
- The album is bound in contemporary gilt-stamped leather, with brass clasp.
Gift of Martha Smith Lovejoy.
Album of 20 gem photographs, ca. 1860-1880, of unidentified members of the Harris, Wright, Chapin, and Osborne families, of New England. Each tintype measures about 2 x 1.5 centimeters, and is framed within an oval reveal, with decorative borders. Some of the portraits have light applications of red hand-coloring.
The album bears no text, but Martha Lovejoy has suggested a list of relatives whom the photographs may depict: Emily Osborne Harris, of Auburn, NY (1853-1940); Frederic Harris (1852-1926), of Springfield, Mass.; Eliza Wright (1830-1911) and David Osborne (1822-1886), also of Auburn; Frederic Harper Harris (1823-1911); Mary Chapin Harris (1847-1890); Martha Bliss; Thomas Harris; Martha Coffin Wright (1806-1875); and John Hall Osborne (1793-1841) and his wife Caroline Buckley, of Rye.
- Subject Terms:
- Chapin family.Harris family.Osborne family.Photography of families.Wright family.
- Gem photographs -- 1860-1880.
Tintypes (prints) -- 1860-1880.
Portraits -- 1860-1880.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.