[Biblical playing cards].
- [Italy] : [s.n.], 
- Physical Description:
- 52 cards : etching ; 100 x 55 mm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGV1235 .B53 1748 FlatYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- BAC: British Art Center copy lacks one card (the 'n' of hearts). Includes contemporary slip-case of blind-stamped leather.
BEIN ITA114: Imperfect: Lacking C, g, v, ai. On cards 105 x 60 mm. Hand colored. From the Cary Collection of Playing Cards.
BEIN ITA115: On cards 99 x 56 mm. Hand colored. From the Cary Collection of Playing Cards.
In the British Art Center copy, each suit is printed in a different color: circles (red), diamonds (blue), hearts (brown), and vases (green).
Title devised by cataloger.
Orbs, diamonds, hearts, vases suit system.
Type: Original design.
Composition of deck: 52 [A-NN, O-AE, a-nn, o-ai].
Hargrave, C.P. History of playing cards and bibliography of cards and gaming, p. 237, 242
Schreiber, C. Playing cards of various ages and countries, III, 143
Keller, W.B. Catalogue of the Cary Collection of Playing Cards in the Yale University Library, ITA114
Set of 52 biblical playing cards, in four suits: circles, diamonds, hearts, and vases. Each card illustrates an episode from the Old Testament and bears within the suit sign an emblem whose significance is explained in the text below the illustration. The texts are given in Italian and in Latin. The cards are not numbered but each is lettered with capital or lower-case letters.
The etchings are by Antonio Visentini, after Francesco Zuccarelli (the 'Y' of vases is inscribed: "F.Z. I. 1748. AVisentini sculp.")
- Subject Terms:
- Bible games and puzzles.Bible. O.T. -- Illustrations.Card games -- Italy.Cary, Mary Flagler -- Ownership.Cary, Melbert B., Jr., 1892-1941 -- Ownership.
- Games -- Italy -- 1748.
Recreations -- Italy.
Playing cards -- Italy -- 1748.
Etchings -- 1748.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.