Paul, John Dean, Sir, 1775-1852, A trip to Melton Mowbray , 
A trip to Melton Mowbray / from drawings by J.D. Paul, Esqr.
- [London] : Pubd. by S. & J. Fuller, at their Sporting Gallery, 34 Rathbone Place, London, 
- Physical Description:
- 14 leaves of plates : all ill. ; 17 x 61 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio B 2011 26 Copy 1Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio B 2011 26 Copy 2Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Yale Center for British Art copy 2 has an engraved label affixed to the reverse of each panel: A trip to Melton Mowbray. From drawings by J.D. Paul, Esqr. Pubd. by S. & J. Fuller, at their Sporting Gallery, 34 Rathbone Place, London. £2.10.0.
Aquatint engravings after drawing by John Dean Paul. Schwerdt attributes the engravings to Henry Alken.
Date of publication from Abbey.
Issued without title page.
Plates 1-2 and 6-7, each half the length of the other plates, are given in pairs.
Abbey, J.R. Life, 488
Tooley, R.V. Coloured plates (1973 ed.), 363
Siltzer, F. Story of British sporting prints (2nd ed), 193
Schwerdt, C.F.G.R. Hunting, III, p. 3
Snelgrove, D. British sporting and animal prints, p. 128
BAC: British Art Center has two copies. Copy 1 bound in red levant morocco with gold tooling on front and back covers. Each scene mounted on thick card, 2 plates per page, on 6 leaves. Armorial bookplate: Fitz Eugene Dixon. Copy 2 is the Abbey copy. Bound in dark red levant morocco. Plates mounted singly on brown backing, stiffened with several layers of Whatman paper to the thickness of card.
Set of fourteen hand-colored aquatints intended to form a panorama.
- Subject Terms:
- Dixon, Fitz Eugene -- Bookplate.Fox hunting -- England -- Pictorial works.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 19th century -- Pictorial works.Hunt riding -- Pictorial works.Hunting -- Pictorial works.Melton Mowbray (England) -- Pictorial works.S. & J. Fuller -- Publisher.
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1822.
- Solvitur acris hyems, it thaws, we must be off to Melton
- Go! I fancy he can! Milton loquitur upon my soul a lie! Shakespeare
- Doing a bit of city
- All the world's a stage. (Bull and Mouth Inn)
- At his head a grass green turf, and at his heels a stone!
- These come hopping
- Non effectives;Nec possum dicere quare
- Frogs & cranes! Shewing a friend the short way to cover!
- My soul's on fire and eager for the field!
- A struggle for a start
- Candidates for Brooke's nunc est bibendum
- Gens humana ruit. O'Crus. O Brachia! (a check)
- Death and the doctors
- Dulce domum. Jamdudum animus est in patinis, exeunt in fumo.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.