Hawkins, W., active 1793-1821, Graphic illustrations of animals , [between 1831 and 1842]
Graphic illustrations of animals : showing their utility to man, in their employments during life, and uses after death.
- London : Published by Roake and Varty, at the Depository for works of education, York House, 31, Strand, [between 1831 and 1842]
- Physical Description:
- 3 pt. (15 leaves of plates) : all col. ill. (hand-colored lithographs) ; 39 x 54 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio B 2011 28Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Lithographs by W. Hawkins. Printed by J. Graf.
Printed by Ibotson and Palmer, London.
The firm of Roake and Varty was at this address from 1831 to 1842. Cf. Brown, P.A.H. London publishers and printers, p. 162
Description based on the British Art Center copy. Later published versions of this work, under the imprint of Varty alone, included 21 plates, which suggests a fourth and final part may have been issued.
BAC: British Art Center copy in original parts, in printed pink wrappers.
Each plate features a large central image of an animal (camel, duck, whale, sheep, fish, elepahts, horse and others) in their natural habitat with a border of between 8 and 12 scenes of them being used by man for commerce, trade, or leisure.
- Subject Terms:
- Animals -- Pictorial works.Animals in art.Graf, J. -- Printer.Ibotson and Palmer -- Printer.Roake and Varty -- Publisher.Zoology, Economic -- Pictorial works.
- Publishers' advertisements.
Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1831-1842.
- 1. The horse
- 2. Bull, cow and calf
- 3. The sheep
- 4. Domestic fowls
- 5. Fur animals
- 6. The ass
- 7. The dog
- 8. The camel
- 9. The rein deer
- 10. The elephant
- 11. The pig
- 12. The swan, goose and duck
- 13. The goat
- 14. The hare and rabbit
- 15. The whale.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.