The Aylesbury Steeple Chase, Thursday, February 11, 1836 : with portraits of the horses and riders : in four beautifully-coloured plates, from paintings made on the spot by James Pollard.
- Additional Title(s):
Aylesbury Grand Steeple Chase.
Description of the steeple chase at Aylesbury, Thursday, February 11, 1836
- London : Published by Ackermann and Co., 96, Strand, 
- Physical Description:
-  leaf, IV leaves of plates : col. ill. ; 44 x 56 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio B 2011 29Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Title from publisher's printed wrapper.
Title on plates, below each subject: The Aylesbury Grand Steeple Chase.
Caption title, on leaf of letterpress: Description of the steeple chase at Aylesbury, Thursday, February 11, 1836 (from Bell's Life in London).
Snelgrove, D. British sporting and animal prints, p. 136-137
Siltzer, F. Story of British sporting prints (2nd ed.), 221
BAC: British Art Center copy is unbound.
A set of four aquatints, engraved by John Harris; after James Pollard. Each plate has the names of the horses and riders keyed below.
- Subject Terms:
- Ackermann and Co. -- Publisher.Aylesbury (England) -- Pictorial works.Horse racing -- Great Britain.Horse sports -- Great Britain.Sporting prints.Steeplechasing -- Great Britain -- Pictorial works.
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1836.
YCBA Collections Search
Pollard, James, 1792-1867, The Aylesbury Steeple Chase, Thursday, February 11, 1836 , 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.