Duke of Wellington, victor of Waterloo [graphic].
- [London?] : [Walker, W.B.], [1815?]
- Physical Description:
- 1 print : verre églomisé ; 22 x 18 cm, in frame 33 x 29 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA68.12.W4 D85 1815 Flat AYale Center for British Art, Hohenzollern-Schlaberg-Hughes Collection, Gift Thomas Lowe Hughes, Yale JD 1952Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Visual Materials
- Portrait of the Duke of Wellington, whose likeness is framed by a laurel wreath, along with the victorious flag of Great Britain and the lowered flag of France.
The reverse color print is executed on the underside of the glass (and hand-colored).
Description based on a copy at the Yale Center for British Art. The YCBA copy is enclosed within a wooden frame, part of which may obscure the item's printed statement of responsibility. The YCBA has a similar verre églomisé, also concerning the Battle of Waterloo, signed "Printed by W.B. Walker, 4 Fox and Knot Court, Cow Lane, London." It is likely that the present item is also by Walker.
BAC: British Art Center copy is enclosed within a wooden frame.
- Subject Terms:
- Great Britain -- History -- 1789-1820.Great Britain. Army -- History -- 19th century.Waterloo, Battle of, Waterloo, Belgium, 1815.Wellington, Arthur Wellesley, Duke of, 1769-1852 -- Portraits.
- Verre églomise.́.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.