Howe, James, 1780-1836, Portraits of horses of distinguished merit, MDCCCXXXII 
- Portraits of horses of distinguished merit. Part I[-II] : containing ten different examples, carefully selected, with letter-press descriptions.
- Edinburgh : Printed by Ballantyne and Company, MDCCCXXXII 
- Physical Description:
- 2 pt. ; ill. ; 35 x 48 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2011 99Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Lithographs of equine subjects by James Howe.
Description based on the copy at the Yale Center for British Art (as described in Snelgrove). Parts I and 2 comprise 10 plates; each part has a letterpress title page. YCBA copy includes 18 additional plates without letterpress descriptions. The additional plates are apparently by Howe.
Podeschi, J.B. Horse and horsemanship, 143
Snelgrove, D. British sporting and animal prints, p. 104
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in black half morocco and marbled boards. Includes sketches in graphite (by Howe?) on eight of the plates. Has bound with it: Portraits of Highland Society prize cattle, and others of distinguished merit (Edinburgh : Ballantyne and Company, 1832).
- Part I. 1. Coco -- 2. Duchess, a Welsh pony -- 3. Swiss -- 4. Hell-Cat -- 5. Highland Mare -- 6. Old Cavalry horse -- 7. Portrait of a charger -- 8. A grey horse -- 9. A light bay horse -- 10. Blucher -- Part II. 1. Normandy pony -- 2. Highland plough-horse -- 3. Sally -- 4. Black Prince -- 5. Clydesdale horse -- 6. Norwegian horse -- 7. Tom -- 8. Rough Will -- 9. Sandy -- 10. Foxbury -- [Additional plates] [16 untitled lithographs of horses with attendants and dogs] -- Bay mare -- M 8.
- Subject Terms:
- Animals in art.Ballantyne and Company -- Publisher.Horses -- Scotland -- Pictorial works.Horses in art.Lithography -- Specimens -- 1832.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.