IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Howe, James, 1780-1836, Portraits of Highland Society prize cattle, and others of distinguished merit, MDCCCXXXII 
Portraits of Highland Society prize cattle, and others of distinguished merit. Part I[-II] : containing ten different examples, carefully selected, with letter-press descriptions.
- Additional Title(s):
Portraits of prize cattle by Howe
- Edinburgh : Printed by Ballantyne and Company, MDCCCXXXII 
- Physical Description:
- 2 pt. : chiefly ill. ; 35 x 48 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2011 99Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- Podeschi, J.B. Books on the horse and horsemanship, 143
Snelgrove, D. British sporting and animal prints, p. 104
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in black half morocco and marbled boards. Includes 3 additional lithographed plates at end, 2 of cattle and 1 of horses. Bound with: Portraits of horses of distinguished merit (Edinburgh : Ballantyne and Company, 1832).
- Subject Terms:
- Animals in art.Ballantyne and Company -- Publisher.Cattle -- Scotland -- Pictorial works.Cattle in art.Lithography -- Specimens -- 1832.
- Part I. 1. Wild cattle
- 2. West Highland cow
- 3. Highland bull
- 4. Colonsay cow
- 5. West Highland ox
- 6. Galloway ox
- 7. Ayrshire ox
- 8. Ayrshire cow
- 9. Guernsey bull
- 10. Romulus
- Part II. 1. Ayreshire heifer
- 2. Highland heifers
- 3. Galloway heifer
- 4. Arran ox
- 5. Aberdeenshire horned ox
- 6. Aberdeenshire polled cow
- 7. Pilton ox
- 8. Angus heifer
- 9. West Highland ox
- 10. Princess.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.