Witnesses to history : a compendium of documents and writings on the return of cultural objects / edited by Lyndel V. Prott.
- Paris : United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization, c2009.
- Physical Description:
- xxvi, 439 p. : col. ill. ; 24 cm.
- Reference LibraryCC135 W58 2009 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Includes bibliographical references (p.-427) and index.
This compendium gives an outline of the historical, philosophical and ethical aspects of the return of cultural objects (e.g. cultural objects displaced during war or in colonial contexts), cites past and present cases (Maya Temple Facade, Nigerian Bronzes, United States of America v. Schultz, Parthenon Marbles and many more) and analyzes legal issues (relevant UNESCO and UNIDROIT Conventions, Supreme Court Decisions, procedure for requests etc.). It examines the ways in which peoples have lost their entire cultural heritage and analyzes the issue of its return and restitution by providing a wide range of perspectives on this subject.--Publisher's description.
- Subject Terms:
- Cultural property -- Protection.Cultural property -- Repatriation.
YCBA Collections Search
Witnesses to history , c2009