A concise description of the English lakes, and adjacent mountains : with general directions to tourists : and observations on the mineralogy and geology of the district : on meteorology, the floating island in Derwent Lake : and the black-lead mine in Borrowdale / by Jonathan Otley.
- Additional Title(s):
Otley's English lakes
- Second edition.
- Keswick : Published by the author ; 1825.
London : John Richardson ; 1825.
Kirky Lonsdale : Arthur Foster, 1825.
- Physical Description:
- 141 p.,  folded leaf of plates : map ; 19 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA670.L1 O85 1825Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Otley's work was first published in 1823 and was designed as a factual record with clearly arranged information for tourists, rather than as picturesque description of the scenery.
Map of the Lake District engraved by J. and G. Menzies.
Bicknell, P. Picturesque scenery of the lake district, 102.2
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary half calf with marbled boards; rebacked.
- Subject Terms:
- Engraving -- Specimens -- 1825.Foster, Arthur -- Publisher.Lake District (England) -- Description and travel.Lake District (England) -- Guidebooks.Richardson, John -- Publisher.Travel -- Great Britain -- 19th century.
- The lakes
- The tarns
- The rivers
- The waterfalls
- The mountains
- General directions
- On the geology of the Lake District
- On meteorolgy
- The floating island in Derwent Lake
- The black lead mine in Borrowdale.