D'Oyly, Charles, 1781-1845, Behar amateur lithographic scrap book, [1828?]
Behar amateur lithographic scrap book.
- Additional Title(s):
Behar amateur lithographic scrapbook
- [Patna, India] : Behar Amateur Lithographic Press, [1828?]
- Physical Description:
-  leaves of plates : all ill. ; 29 x 41cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2011 110 Copy 1Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Lithographs after Charles D'Oyly, Elizabeth Jane D'Oyly, and George Chinnery.
Date of publication from Abbey.
Abbey, J.R. Travel, 449
Contents, from Abbey: [Lithographed title] -- Near Hadjeah [?] -- Doing a bit of justice -- [View in the street] -- View of Mr Wilton's house at Patna -- [Portrait of unnamed Indian potentate] -- A composition from Chinnery's outline sketches -- The Shunscrit College at Benares -- On the River Hooghly. On the D[illegible] Nulla?[illegible] -- [Portrait of an unnamed Indian lady] -- [View with distant temple] -- View of a Banian tree at Hadjepore -- A Nautch -- Dacca -- [Approximately twenty thumb-nail sketches on one sheet] -- C. D'Oyly delt. from A composoition from Chinnery's outline sketches -- [Portrait of an Indian girl] -- View in Bengal -- C. D'Oyly fect. from a drawing by Mrs. Woodcock -- View in Bengal. A native Sewarry -- View in the vicinity of Barrackpore -- Near Gyah -- National Burmese game ... -- Dead elephant -- Cockatoo at tea -- A Ghaut at Patna.
BAC: British Art Center is the Abbey copy. Bound in publisher's original blue paper wrappers, with lithographed title label. Cased with: Abbey Travel 446. Behar amateur lithographic scrap book (Patna, 1828).
Consists of 29 lithographs of varying size (mounted on 27 blank leaves) from the Behar Lithographic Press, established by Sir Charles D'Oyly in Patna, Bihar, India, in 1828. The lithographs include portraits, animals, landscapes, and village life.
- Subject Terms:
- Bengal (India) -- Pictorial works.Bihar (India) -- Pictorial works.Costume -- India -- Pictorial works.D'Oyly, Charles, 1781-1845.India -- Description and travel -- 19th century -- Pictorial works.Landscapes -- India -- Bengal.Natural history -- India -- Pictorial works.
- Lithographs -- 1828.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.