Extra Behar amateur lithographic scrap book : containing a variety of Indian subjects.
- Additional Title(s):
Extra Behar amateur lithographic scrapbook
- [Patna, India] : Behar Amateur Lithographic Press, [1829?]
- Physical Description:
-  leaves of plates : all ill. ; 26 x 39 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2011 110 Copy 1Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Abbey, J.R. Travel in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 452
Lithographs after Charles D'Oyly, Col. J. Young, and Elizabeth Jane D'Oyly.
Date of publication from Abbey.
Contents, from Abbey: Chance a brown water spaniel ... -- R'Hut Jhattra -- Hog hunting -- A Mahrattah lady -- View in Behar -- Brenda the property of Lady D'Oyly, Patna -- Cockatoo -- A native family. Bramming bull. Grub. Peter -- Hog hunting. Plate 3d -- Hog hunting. Plate 4th -- Saccly (Scicely?), gully from the land side -- [View of ruined temple] -- Tiger hunting -- On the River Ganges -- Wild elephant -- On the Jumna -- Ally Agah. A native lady -- Soories -- View near Barrackpore -- Portrait of a native of Arrah -- Native of the western provinces. [Portrait of native lady, with Arabic caption] -- [View through an archway] -- Rajemahl inland. Marriage Procession -- Hog hunting plate 5 -- Lady D'Oyly's Ayah & Buxoo[?] Jemmadar's child -- Antelopes -- Balasore salt boats -- Hog hunting plate 6th -- A native family -- Gigantic crane.
BAC: British Art Center is the Abbey copy. Bound in publisher's original blue paper wrappers, with lithographed title label. Cased with: Abbey Travel 446. Behar amateur lithographic scrap book (Patna, 1828) -- Abbey Travel 448. Behar amateur lithographic scrap book. [1828?] -- Abbey Travel 449. Behar Amateur scrapbook. [1828?]. Also includes, laid in, the fragments of an unidentified leaf specimen.
Consists of 36 lithographs of varying size (mounted on 29 blank leaves) from the Behar Lithographic Press, established by Sir Charles D'Oyly in Patna, Bihar, India, in 1828. The lithographs include portraits, animals, landscapes, and village life.
- Subject Terms:
- Bengal (India) -- Pictorial works.Bihar (India) -- Pictorial works.Costume -- India -- Pictorial works.D'Oyly, Charles, 1781-1845.India -- Description and travel -- 19th century -- Pictorial works.Landscapes -- India -- Bengal.Natural history -- India -- Pictorial works.
- Lithographs -- 1829.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
D'Oyly, Charles, 1781-1845, Extra Behar amateur lithographic scrap book , [1829?]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.