- Great Britain, 1869-1873.
- Physical Description:
- 1 v. ( leaves) : plans ; 24 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2011 106Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Archives & Manuscripts
- Bound in red half roan, with marbled boards.
A series of original pen and ink designs for garden layouts and planting schemes for an un-named flower garden in Britain. The plans bear dates ranging from 1869 to 1873. The compiler of the volume is unidentified. All of the plans are drawn in pen and brown ink (or pen and brown ink with graphite) on linen paper, gathered in a contemporary binding.
The first four leaves show four versions of a rectangular design based upon a radial pattern. A central oval open space is intersected by eight paths, including four diagonal walks that stretch to the edge of the garden plan. Another oval path rings the interior of the design, and the space left over by the intersections of the various paths create 20 garden beds of roughly the same size. A variety of named flowers are assigned to each bed, including: Purple Verbena, Calceolaria, Pink ivy, Coleus, Agapanthus, Lobelia, Geraniums (Mrs. Pollock), Pelargonium (Amy Hogg), and Amaryllis cybister.
Leaves 5, 6, and 8 depict another radial garden plan, in the form of an eight-pointed star. This design features a central bed of Mrs. Pollock, surrounded by beds of Coleus, Golden chain (?), Calceolaria, Lobelia, Christine, Cerastium, Purple Verbena, and Alma. Leaves 9 and 10 include plans for a border of repeating geometrical pattern.
Interspersed, on leaf 7, is a ground plan for five-room building. The largest of these rooms is labeled "school"; the adjoining rooms include a brewhouse, pantry, kitchen, and parlour. It is possible that the present garden plans were intended to accompany the new building.
- Subject Terms:
- Flower gardening -- Great Britain -- 19th century.Flowers -- Great Britain -- 19th century.Gardens -- Design -- Great Britain -- 19th century.Gardens, Victorian.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.
- Ink drawings -- 1869-1873.
Graphite drawings -- 1869-1873.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.