Costumes of the members of the University of Oxford / drawn, engraved & published by N. Whittock.
- Additional Title(s):
Costumes of Oxford
- London : N. Whittock, [1840?]
- Physical Description:
- 1 folded sheet (, 17 p.) : all ill. ; 11 x 119 cm, folded to 11 x 7 cm, attached to boards 12 x 8 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsLF528 .W55 1840a Copy 1View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsLF528 .W55 1840a Copy 2View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Cover title, stamped in gilt on publisher's cloth binding: Costumes of Oxford.
Date of publication from Cordeaux.
Cordeaux, E.H. Bibliography of printed works relating to the University of Oxford, 1318
Kunstbibliothek (Berlin, Germany). Katalog der Lipperheideschen Kostümbibliothek (2. Aufl.), Pk25
BAC: British Art Center copy 1 bound in publisher's blind- and gilt-stamped blue cloth. Plates are hand-colored .
BAC: British Art Center copy 2 bound in publisher's blind- and gilt-stamped blue cloth (variant pattern). Plates are hand-colored. Title leaf is affixed to the inside of the front cover.
A series of 17 illustrations of men in the academic costume of the University of Oxford. In this edition, the final plate (17) is numbered. This edition also lacks a continuous panorama of Oxford in the background, which is present in an otherwise indistinguishable edition by Whittock.
- Subject Terms:
- Academic costume -- England -- Oxford.Costume -- Great Britain.University of Oxford -- Students -- Clothing.Whittock, N. -- Publisher
- Accordion fold format (Binding)
Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1840.
- IIIF Manifest:
- Genta. commoner undress town
- Gentn. commoner dress gown
- Nobleman undress gown
- Nobleman dress gown
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Civil Law
- Masters of Arts
- Doctor of Divinity
- Doctor of Music
- Doctor of Civil Laws dress gown
- Pro. Proctor
- Doctor of Divinity dress gown
- Chancellor of the University of Oxford.