Whittock, N. (Nathaniel), 1791-1860, Costumes of the members of the University of Oxford, [ca. 1840?]
Costumes of the members of the University of Oxford.
- Additional Title(s):
Costumes of Oxford
- London : Published for the proprietor, by J. Robins, Bride Court, Fleet Street, [ca. 1840?]
- Physical Description:
- 1 folded sheet (17 p.) : all ill. ; 11 x 119 cm, folded to 11 x 7 cm, attached to boards 12 x 8 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsLF528 .W55 1840bAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Cover title, stamped in gilt on publisher's cloth binding: Costumes of Oxford.
BAC: British Art Center Copy disbound. Title page pasted to inside of front cover. Bound in publisher's blind- and gilt-stamped brown cloth. Plate are hand-colored. Stamp in black ink on title page: F. Madan. Oxford.
A series of 17 illustrations of men in the academic costume of the University of Oxford. Circa 1840, Nathaniel Whittock issued a nearly identical edition of the present work, "drawn, engraved & published by N. Whittock." This edition lacks a continuous panorama of Oxford in the background, which is present in an otherwise indistinguishable edition by Whittock.
- Subject Terms:
- Academic costume -- England -- Oxford.Costume -- Great Britain.Madan, Falconer, 1851-1935 -- Stamp.Robins, J. -- Publisher.University of Oxford -- Students -- Clothing.
- Accordion fold format (Binding)
Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1840.
- Genta. commoner undress town
- Gentn. commoner dress gown
- Nobleman undress gown
- Nobleman dress gown
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Civil Law
- Masters of Arts
- Doctor of Divinity
- Doctor of Music
- Doctor of Civil Laws dress gown
- Pro. Proctor
- Doctor of Divinity dress gown
- Chancellor of the University of Oxford.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.