Proposal for printing by subscription L'ecole des armes, ou, L'explication generale des principales attitudes et positions concernent l'escrime / written the first edition in French, the second in English, by Mr. Angelo Tremamondo, fencing master to Their Royal Highnesses Prince William Henry & Prince Henry Frederick.
- England, circa 1763.
- Physical Description:
-  sheets ( p.) ; 31 x 46 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio B 2007 6aYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Archives & Manuscripts
- "Condition of subscribing: I. The book will be printed in folio on Superfine paper and new letter, with forty seven plates drawn and engraved by the best hands in London, shewing all the positions and attitudes of fencing. II. The price to subscribers will be two guineas, to be paid at the delivery of the book."--Page .
"A list of those who have favour'd the subscription."--Pages -. The list of subscribers includes 166 names, recorded in three columns. The list of subscribers in the published version of 1763 included 236 names.
Manuscript prospectus, in pen and black ink, for Domenico Angelo's Ecole des armes. The first edition of the work was published, in oblong folio, in French alone, in 1763 (London : R. & J. Dodsley; ESTC T88336). In 1765, S. Hooper published the work with parallel texts of French and English, also in Folio. Presumably, the present prospectus was composed prior to the publication of the first edition in 1763.
- Subject Terms:
- Angelo, Domenico, 1717?-1802. Ecole des armes.Angelo, Domenico, 1717?-1802. Ecole des armes. English.Fencing -- Early works to 1800.Fencing -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.Swordplay -- Early works to 1800.
- Prospectuses -- England -- London -- 1763.
Subscribers' lists -- England -- London -- 1763.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Angelo, Domenico, 1717?-1802, Proposal for printing by subscription L'ecole des armes, ou, L'explication generale des principales attitudes et positions concernent l'escrime , circa 1763
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.