[Commemorative printed handkerchief for the Royal Jubilee Exhibition, 1887], [1887?]
[Commemorative printed handkerchief for the Royal Jubilee Exhibition, 1887] [graphic]
- [Manchester, England] : [s.n.], [1887?]
- Physical Description:
- 1 printed handkerchief : linen ; 54 x 58 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio C 2011 3cYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- The Royal Jubilee Exhibition of 1887 was held in Old Trafford, Manchester, to celebrate the Golden Jubilee of Queen Victoria's reign. It was opened by Princess Alexandra, wife of Edward, the Prince of Wales, on 3 May 1887, and remained open for 166 days, during which time there were 4.5 million paying visitors, 74,600 in one day alone. Its theme was progress in art, science and industry during this time. The buildings were constructed from cast iron gas pipes, and had large glazed areas. The main building was in the shape of a cross, with a 150-foot (46 m) high central dome 90 feet (27 m) in diameter, from which radiated four long galleries.
Linen handkerchief, printed in black, commemorating the Royal Jubilee Exhibition at Manchester, in 1887. The handkerchief features, at center, a large image of the exhibition hall bordered with portraits of Lord Mayors Curtis and Goldschmidt. Along the top is a central portrait of Queen Victoria, which is surrounded by 12 smaller portraits of contemporary European rulers. The remainder of the print is comprised of images of five notable Manchester buildings, including the Royal Infirmary, the Cathedral, the Royal Exchange, New Town Hall, and the Assize Courts.
- Subject Terms:
- Exhibitions -- England -- Manchester.Manchester (England) -- Buildings, structures, etc.Royal Jubilee Exhibition (1887 : Manchester, Greater Manchester)Victoria, Queen of Great Britain, 1819-1901 -- Anniversaries, etc.Victoria, Queen of Great Britain, 1819-1901 -- Portraits.
Printed textile materials.
Lithographs -- 1887.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.