These are to certify that Bro. [blank] was enrolled a member of the Widows and Orphans Fund of the Ancient Order of Foresters in court no. [blank] this [blank] day of [blank] 18[blank].
- Additional Title(s):
These are to certify that Bro. was enrolled a member of the Widows and Orphans Fund of the Ancient Order of Foresters in court no. this day of 18
- [London] : [Foresters Friendly Society], [approximately 1852]
- Physical Description:
- 1 print : hand-colored lithograph ; sheet 47 x 33 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio B 2011 43aYale Center for British Art, Gift of David Doret, Yale BA 1968, and Linda MitchellAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- "Attempts in the 1840s to establish a centrally administered fund found little favour with delegates to High Court Meetings. Districts, on the other hand, were more inclined to develop voluntary, locally administered, Widows and Orphans funds ... The certificate design ... was introduced by the London United District in 1849. Benjamin Foster, an active London Forester, who attained the position of High Chief Ranger in 1860/61, was the designer. The W & O certificate was introduced into the EC saleable stock in 1852, at 8d (3p) plain, 1s (5p) hand-coloured. Stocks were acquired directly from the LUD."--Website of the Foresters Heritage Trust, 2010.
"Engraved [sic] by Barfoot." The lithography may be by James Richard Barfoot.
BAC: British Art Center copy completed, in manuscript: "Bro. George E. Lovey was enrolled ... in court no. 1653, in the Bristol and Bath United District, this 12th day of March, 1857." The lithograph is hand-colored.
- Subject Terms:
- Foresters Friendly Society -- Charities.Foresters Friendly Society -- Publisher.Lovey, George E.Orphans -- Great Britain.Widows -- Great Britain.
- Blank forms.
Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1852.
YCBA Collections Search
Foresters Friendly Society, These are to certify that Bro. [blank] was enrolled a member of the Widows and Orphans Fund of the Ancient Order of Foresters in court no. [blank] this [blank] day of [blank] 18[blank], [approximately 1852]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.