IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
R. M, The Mars and the L'Hercule, April 21, 1798 , 1799
The Mars and the L'Hercule, April 21, 1798 : a transparent print / R.M.
- [London] : Sold and published Feby. 1, 1799, by Edwd. Orme, New Bond Street, London, 1799.
- Physical Description:
- 1 print on wove paper : aquatint ; plate mark 21 x 21 cm, on sheet 44 x 31 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio B 2011 43eYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Full Orbis Record:
- Title from caption etched below image.
Lacks varnishing on reverse.
"Where may be had a great variety of transparent prints & every requisite for drawing them."--Foot of imprint.
BAC: British Art Center copy is printed with dark blue ink.
The engraving depicts the British HMS Mars in battle with the French seventy-four Hercule, near the Pointe du Raz on the coast of Brittany, in the moonlit night of 21 April, 1798. The Hercule lost over 300 men in the battle; the Mars lost 31, including Captain Alexander Hood.
- Subject Terms:
- France -- History -- Revolution, 1789-1799 -- Naval operations, British.France -- History -- Revolution, 1789-1799 -- Naval operations.Great Britain -- History -- 1714-1837.Hercule (Ship)Hood, Alexander, 1758-1796.Mars (Ship : 1794)Naval battles -- Great Britain.
- Aquatins -- 1799.
Recreations -- Great Britain.
- IIIF Manifest:
Spreading Canvas - Eighteenth - Century British Marine Painting (Yale Center for British Art, 2016-09-09 - 2016-12-04) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.