R. M, The Mars and the L'Hercule, April 21, 1798 , 1799
- The Mars and the L'Hercule, April 21, 1798 : a transparent print / R.M.
- [London] : Sold & published Feby. 1, 1799, by Edwd. Orme, New Bond Street, London, 1799.
- Physical Description:
- 1 print on wove paper : aquatint ; plate mark 21 x 21 cm, on sheet 44 x 31 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio B 2011 43eYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- The engraving depicts the British HMS Mars in battle with the French seventy-four Hercule, near the Pointe du Raz on the coast of Brittany, in the moonlit night of 21 April, 1798. The Hercule lost over 300 men in the battle; the Mars lost 31, including Captain Alexander Hood.
Title from caption etched below image.
Lacks varnishing on reverse.
"Where may be had a great variety of transparent prints & every requisite for drawing them."--Foot of imprint.
BAC: British Art Center copy is printed with dark blue ink.
- Exhibition History:
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
- Subject Terms:
- France -- History -- Revolution, 1789-1799 -- Naval operations, British.France -- History -- Revolution, 1789-1799 -- Naval operations.Great Britain -- History -- 1714-1837.Hercule (Ship)Hood, Alexander, 1758-1796.Mars (Ship : 1794)Naval battles -- Great Britain.
- Aquatins -- 1799.
Recreations -- Great Britain.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.