[Commercial traveler's catalog of silver-plated ware, possibly made in Sheffield], [ca. 1780]
[Commercial traveler's catalog of silver-plated ware, possibly made in Sheffield].
- [Sheffield, England?] : [s.n.], [ca. 1780]
- Physical Description:
- 74 prints (in 1 volume) : engravings ; 24 x 40 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2011 109Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Snodin, M. Ornament, p. 55-56
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary marbled wrappers, with calf spine. Inscribed at front: Cartte 122. The V&A also appears to have a copy of the present catalog, with prices for each item (in sterling) noted in ms.
Catalog of 193 designs of silver-plated ware, on 74 engraved leaves, by an unidentified manufacturer. The volume lacks a title page, and there are no names for printers or engravers on any of the plates. Each engraving is consecutively numbered. Many pages bear multiple designs, each of which is also numbered (from 51 to 243). About half of the designs are named, and some are labeled with a brief note on size (e.g. "7 in."). All items are un-priced.
The catalog includes designs for: mugs and cups; tea kettles, urns, and caddies; coffee pots and urns; salts; cruets and cruet stands; sauce boats; cream dispensers; salt and pepper shakers; ink stands; bottle stands; serving spoons; trays; sugar basins; commode handles, candelabra; and a great number of candlesticks.
- Subject Terms:
- Candlesticks -- Catalogs.Commercial catalogs -- Great Britain.Decoration and ornament -- Great Britain -- Catalogs.Decoration and ornament -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.Metal-work -- Great Britain -- Catalogs.Sheffield plate -- Catalogs.Silver-plated ware -- Catalogs.Tableware -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.
- Trade catalogs.
Engravings -- 1780.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.