Naval victories of Great Britain : from the commencement of the war in the year 1803 to 1816 : being a series of coloured views of naval engagements / from drawings by officers in the actions represented.
- London : Printed by W. Lewis, Finch-Lane, Cornhill, [between 1819 and 1838]
- Physical Description:
-  leaf,  leaves of plates : chiefly ill. ; 38 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA88 .S88 1820a+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Aquatint engravings by Thomas Sutherland, Frederick Christian Lewis, James Baily, Daniel Havell, W. Bailey, and W. J. Bennett; after Frederick Mackenzie, Thomas Whitcombe, John Gore, and James Beresford.
William Lewis was active at Finch-Lane from 1819 to 1838. See: Brown. London publishers and printers.
Description based on the copy at the Yale Center for British Art. In this copy, all of the engraved plates have been closely trimmed (thus removing the original imprint), and mounted to blanks in the present volume (matching the size of the title page). The YCBA copy has 42 plates. The Pyall & Stroud edition of this work had 58 plates.
The hand-colored aquatints are printed in dark blue ink.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary red half roan and green cloth.
The present work is probably a reprint of the plates (or a portion of the plates) published as: Naval victories : a series of engravings representing the naval engagements of Great Britain, from original drawings made by officers who were in the actions represented ; engraved by J. Sutherland (London : Pyall & Stroud, 1920).
- Subject Terms:
- Great Britain -- History, Naval.Great Britain. Royal Navy -- History -- 19th century.Great Britain. Royal Navy -- History -- Pictorial works.Lewis, W. -- Publisher.Naval battles -- Great Britain -- Pictorial works.Pyall & Stroud -- Publisher.
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1819-1838.
YCBA Collections Search
Sutherland, Thomas, approximately 1785-approximately 1825, Naval victories of Great Britain , [between 1819 and 1838]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.