French engravings of the eighteenth century : in the collection of Joseph Widener, Lynnewood Hall.
- Additional Title(s):
French engravings of the 18th century
- London : Privately printed at the Chiswick Press, 1923.
- Physical Description:
- 4 v. (641 p.) : ill. ; 41 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2011 113Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Each plate accompanied by guard sheet with descriptive letterpress.
Plates are arranged alphabetically by artist. The final volume has a large section illustrating costume.
"One hundred and twenty copies have been printed for private circulation only."--Vol. 1, leaf opposite t.p.
The original collection was given to National Gallery of Art in 1942.
"Bibliography and list of references in the notes," v.4, p. 625-628.
BAC: British Art Center copy is no. 53 of 120. Bound in gilt-tooled red morocco with blue watered-silk endpapers, by Riviere & Son.
Reproductions of engravings from a collection originally formed by Albert Christophle; with additions. See foreword by Edward Clayton, the compiler.
- Subject Terms:
- Art -- Private collections -- Catalogs.Chiswick Press -- Publisher.Christophle, Albert, 1830-1904 -- Art collections -- Catalogs.Costume -- France -- Pictorial works.Engraving -- 18th century -- Catalogs.Engraving -- Pennsylvania -- Elkins Park -- Catalogs.Engraving, French -- 18th century -- Catalogs.Widener, Joseph E. (Joseph Early), 1872-1943 -- Art collections -- Catalogs.
- Photomechanical prints -- 1923.
- v. 1. Baudouin-Desrais
- v. 2. Drouais-Krantzinger
- v. 3. Lancret-Vincent
- v. 4. Le monument du costume.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.