The baronial and ecclesiastical antiquities of Scotland / illustrated by Robert William Billings, architect, 1845-52 ; in four volumes.
- [London] : Published by the author, 3 St. Mary's Road, Canonbury, London, 
- Physical Description:
- 4 v. : ill. ; 34 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNA974 .B55 1855+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Each of the four volumes includes 60 steel-engraved plates.
Steel engravings by Robert Edward Branston, John Godfrey, J.H. Le Keux, James C. Redaway, John Saddler, G.B. Smith, and George Winter; after Robert William Billings.
The "Note to the first reprint of the introduction" is dated Apr. 6, 1855.
Title page is wood-engraved.
Includes bibliographical references.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in full gilt-tooled blue morocco. Accompanied, in separate full blue morocco gilt tooled case, by 35 of Billing's original pen and ink drawings (some with watercolor) for the illustrations in the present work. The set includes 23 drawings for the full-page engraved plates and 12 drawings for the wood-engraved head- and tail-pieces; they comprise: v. 1, plates 43, 49-52, 58-60, and 1 wood-engraving; v. 2, plate 27 and 6 wood-engravings; v. 3, plates 39, 42-48, 60, and 5 wood-engravings; v. 4, plates 25, 56, and 58-60.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture -- Scotland -- Pictorial works.Castles -- Scotland -- Pictorial works.Church architecture -- Scotland -- Pictorial works.Scotland -- Description and travel.
- Steel engravings -- 1855.
Wood engravings -- 1855.
YCBA Collections Search
Billings, Robert William, 1813-1874, The baronial and ecclesiastical antiquities of Scotland , 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.