Letter and Report on the discoveries at Herculaneum / Johann Joachim Winckelmann ; introduction, translation and commentary by Carol C. Mattusch.
- Additional Title(s):
Sendschreiben von den Herculanischen Entdeckungen an den hochgebohrnen Herrn, Herrn Heinrich von Brühl. English.
- Los Angeles : J. Paul Getty Museum, c2011.
- Physical Description:
- ix, 230 p. : ill., map ; 26 cm.
- Reference LibraryN5775 .W513 2011 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: Non-Yale users must make an appointment to use the Reference Library. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
"This new translation brings to light the early days of scientific archaeology and the unearthing and study of Herculaneum and Pompeii as observed by the erudite and acerbic art historian Johann Joachim Winckelmann (1717-1768). His Letter, published in German in 1762, displays his extensive knowledge of geology, ancient literature, and art while offering a scathing critique of the Spanish Bourbon excavations around the Bay of Naples and of the officials involved. He further discusses these topics in his equally controversial Report of 1764. The introduction describes the context in which these texts were written, identifies various politicians, academics, and collectors, and elucidates topics of particular interest to Winckelmann, from artifacts to local customs to the contents of ancient papyri. The illustrations, particularly those from the Bourbon publication--Le Antichità di Ercolano (1757-92)--illuminate how these monuments influenced contemporary perception of the ancient world."-- Provided by publisher.
- Subject Terms:
- ART / History / Ancient & Classical.Excavations (Archaeology) -- Italy -- Naples, Bay of, Region -- History -- 18th century.Herculaneum (Extinct city) -- Early works to 1800.Pompeii (Extinct city) -- Early works to 1800.Stabiae (Extinct city) -- Early works to 1800.
YCBA Collections Search
Winckelmann, Johann Joachim, 1717-1768, Letter and Report on the discoveries at Herculaneum , c2011