Kidner, Michael, The elastic membrane , 1979
- The elastic membrane / Michael Kidner.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Michael Kidner : the elastic membrane
- Guildford, Surrey (England) : Circle Press, 1979.
- Physical Description:
- 1 box : plywood and plastic ; 35 x 45 x 7 cm., 1 model : paper, wood, plastic, elastic fabric, 2 screws, 2 pins ; 34 x 44 x 3 cm., 1 sheet ( p.) ; 34 x 43 cm., 6 photomechanical prints : photoetching, photolithography, col. ; 33 x 43 cm., and 2 notebooks ( leaves;  p.) : all facsims. ; 26 cm., 21 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A N 220Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Related Content:
- Publisher's description
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- "Limited edition ... made up of 300 books, plus 35 artist's proof copies, 10 copies I-X for Circle Press and five copies marked HC, all signed by the artist"--Colophon, on verso of included sheet.
Title from recto of included sheet.
"Designed in collaboration with the artist and produced by Jack Shirreff, 107 Workshop"--Colophon.
"Part I. Practical. The practical is an example of the homemade computer used to create the images which follow. Part II: Three photo etchings and three photo lithographs. Part III: The Continuity book, and the Notebook. The Continuity book shows the evolution rather than the end product of the idea. The Notebook was kept in 1978/79"--Artist's statement, on recto of included sheet.
"Box: Case hand-made by Mike McHeugh and Keith Brookwell, Natural Woods, Bath, from 6mm WBP Gaboon faced plywood. Lid fabricated by De Roy Plastics, Guildford, in 3mm Perspex ... Practical: Fabricated to the artist's specifications at 107 Workshop. Title page: Designed and produced by Michael Gray; hand-set in 14 and 24 pt. Plantin by the designer and Roy Salter, printed on BFK Velin Cuve Rives 250 gsm. Photo etchings: Half-tone photo etchings ... printed on J. Green 180 gsm mould-made paper ... [and] 185 gsm RSW White Wove Barcham Green hand-made paper. All produced and printed by Jack Shirreff and Michael Ward. Continuous tone lithographs: ... 133 screen half-tone in 1 colour printed on BFK Velin Cuve Rives 250 gsm ... [and] printed by a duotone process developed by Barry Millard ... Continuity book: Produced and printed, line and half-tone in 2 colours on Nimrod Cartridge 135 gsm and Simulator Transparent 100 gsm. Notebook: a facsimile, produced and printed in 10 colours, with process photography and offset lithougraphinc printing by Barry Millard throughout"--Colophon.
Each print is inserted in a colored paper folder. Notebooks contain facsimiles of drawings (some printed on both sides of leaf) and facsimiles of the artist's ms. notes.
Cooking the books : Ron King and Circle Press. New Haven, 2002, p. 171
- Subject Terms:
- Circle Press -- Publisher.Kidner, Michael.
- Conceptual art.
Artists' books -- Great Britain -- 20th century.
Bookbinding (Binding) -- Wooden cases.
Typefaces (Type evidence) -- Plantin.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.