- Additional Title(s):
- [London] : [Tracey Bush], 
- Physical Description:
- 8 cut-paper butterflies ; in box 13 x 18 x 5 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN7433.4.B87 B74 2004 Flat AYale Center for British Art, Friends of British Art FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- © 2020 Tracey Bush
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- Each cut-paper moth or butterfly is comprised of multiple sheets of contemporary printed maps (on paper), each layer of paper cut to resemble the outline of a named butterfly specimen, the multiple layers tied together at the thorax with a bookbinder's pamphlet stitch. The portions of maps selected to form each specimen include one or more references to the species type; e.g. the Camberwell Beauty is composed of a map showing a portion of Camberwell, and the High Brown Fritillary is composed of a brown-toned map. Each specimen is affixed with an entomological pin to the bottom of a black museum box.
The interior of the box includes nine small hand-written labels, including one title label for the work, and eight labels naming each of the butterfly species: Camberwell Beauty, Nymphalis antiopa [female] (migrant from Europe); High Brown Fritillary, Argynnis adippe [male]; Small Heath, Coenonympha pamphilus [male]; Wood White, Leptidea sinapsis [female]; Lulworth Skipper, Thymelicus acteon [male]; Mountain Ringlet [male], Erebia epiphron; Comma, Polygonum c-album [male]; Dark Green Fritillary, Argynnis alglaja [female].
The removable box lid includes a transparent glass top. The inside of the lid is inscribed: No. 1 "British Butterflies" museum box. T Bush 2004. The Yale Center for British Art copy is unique.
Of green leaf, bird, and flower: artists' books and the natural world, p. 168
- Subject Terms:
- Artists' books -- Great Britain.Butterflies in art.Paper work -- Great Britain -- Specimens.Women in natural history.
- Artists' books -- Great Britain.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.