IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Buck, Samuel, 1696-1779, [Views of the cities of Westminster and London taken from the opposite bank of the Thames], 1749
[Views of the cities of Westminster and London taken from the opposite bank of the Thames]
- London : S. & N. Buck, 1749.
- Physical Description:
- 1 panorama on 5 sheets : engraving ; full panorama 31 x 395 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA683 .I45a Flat AYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Full Orbis Record:
- "Engraved by S. & N. Buck ... publish'd according to Act of Parliamt Sep. 11th 1749. No. 1 Garden Court, Middle Temple, London".
Hyde, R. Prospect of Britain, p. 22, 47-48
Hyde, R. Gilded scenes and shining prospects, 53
Phillips, H. Thames about 1750
BAC: For four of the five sheets, see also: Yale Center for British Art, Department of Prints and Drawings, B1977.14.19126-9.
Panoramric view of London and Westminster, comprised of five engraved sheets with place names listed in the lower margin, keyed to corresponding points in the print. Each panel engraved by Samuel and Nathaniel Buck from drawings taken from different vantage points along the Thames. When taken together, the panorama forms a continuous view of London from Westminster Bridge to London Bridge.
- Subject Terms:
- London (England) -- History -- Pictorial works.London (England) -- Pictorial works.Panoramas -- England -- London.Thames River (England) -- History -- Pictorial works.Westminster (London, England) -- Pictorial works.
- Engravings -- 1749.
Panoramas -- England -- London -- 1749.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.