The Illustrated London news Colosseum view of London.
- Additional Title(s):
Colosseum view of London
- London : [Illustrated London news], 
- Physical Description:
- 1 print (2 sheets) : wood engraving ; full sheet 30 x 254 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA683 .I45c Flat AYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- The panorama was composed after daguerreotypes by Antoine Claudet. The images were drawn on wood by G.F. Sargent, and engraved by Ebenezer Landells (and 18 assistants).
The first version of the print consisted of two views, looking north and south from the Duke of York's column. It was "the first illustrated newspaper giveaway ... presented gratis to all six-month subscribers of the Illustrated London news on 7 January 1843 ... Later the Illustrated London news put the panorama on sale, the two views colored and linked to form one continuous strip (but not one continuous view), wound onto a wooden roller."--Hyde.
Also attached to the roller is key-image, with references to 38 points of interest.
Hyde, R. Gilded scenes and shining prospects, 99
Publisher's advertisement at head of scroll.
BAC: British Art Center copy in scroll form, on publisher's original wooden roller, enclosed in publisher's gilt-stamped blue cloth.
Panoramic bird's eye view of London, from the vantage point of the Duke of York's column.
- Subject Terms:
- Illustrated London news -- Publisher.London (England) -- Pictorial works.
- Bird's-eye views -- England -- London -- 1843.
Panoramas -- England -- London -- 1843.
Publishers' advertisements -- England -- London -- 1843.
Wood engravings -- 1843.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.