Alken, Henry Thomas, 1784-1851, Tutors assistant , 1823
- Tutors assistant / Hy. Alken.
- London : Thos. McLean, 1823.
- Physical Description:
-  leaves of plates : all col. ill. ; 28 x 37 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2011 57 Copy 3Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2012 4Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Comprises 24 images on 6 engraved plates, humorously illustrating elements of English grammar.
Each leaf has caption: "Hy. Alken delt. London, Published by Thos. McLean, Repository of wit & humour, 26 Haymarket, 1823."
Siltzer, F. Story of British sporting prints (2nd ed), p. 71
Van Devanter, W. Checklist of books illustrated by Henry Alken, 87
Tooley, R.V. Coloured plates (1973 ed.) 59
BAC: British Art Center Folio A 2012 4 copy is bound in blue gilt-tooled morocco. Armorial bookplate: Walter Gilbey. Has bound with it:  Two untitled soft-ground etchings, by Henry Alken, depicting foreign (?) cavalry officers, with horses. "London, Published by Thos. McLean, 26 Haymarket, 1824."  A pair of humours soft-ground etchings by Alken titled "Comparitive prints," the first subtitled "Knights as they were," the second "Knights as they are." These also bear the imprint of McClean, 1824.
BAC: British Art Center Folio A 2011 57 Copy 3 is part of a compilation of titles by Henry Alken issued by his publisher T. McLean. Spine title: British sportsman's vade mecum. Plates mounted two-to-a-page.
- Subject Terms:
- Caricatures and cartoons -- Great Britain -- 19th century.English language -- Humor -- Pictorial works.English wit and humor, Pictorial.Gilbey, Walter -- Bookplate.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- Humor.McLean, Thos. -- Publisher.Regency -- England.Satire, English.
- Soft-ground etchings -- Hand-colored -- 1821.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.