Staging fashion, 1880-1920 , c2012
- Staging fashion, 1880-1920 : Jane Hading, Lily Elsie, Billie Burke / Michele Majer, [curator of the exhibition and] editor ; Lenard Berlanstein, Marlis Schweitzer, Sheila Stowell ; with contributions by BGC graduate students.
- New York : Bard Graduate Center, Decorative Arts, Design History, Material Culture ; c2012.
New Haven : Distributed by Yale University Press, c2012.
- Physical Description:
- 208 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 22 cm.
- Reference LibraryPN2067 .S83 2012 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Reference Library is closed until further notice. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Catalog published in conjunction with the exhibition, Staging Fashion, 1880-1920: Jane Hading, Lily Elsie, Billie Burke, held at the Bard Graduate Center: Decorative Arts, Design History, Material Culture, from January 17, 2012, through April 8, 2012.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction / Michele Majer -- Jane Hading. Dangerous and Influential women: actresses in nineteenth-century French culture / Lenard Berlanstein -- Jane Hading catalogue section / Michele Majer and BGC students -- Lily Elsie. Lucile and the theatricalization of fashion / Sheila Stowell -- Lily Elsie catalogue section / Michele Majer and BGC students -- Billie Burke. Stylish effervescence: Billie Burke and the rise of the fashionable Broadway star / Marlis Schweitzer -- Billie Burke catalogue section / Michele Majer and BGC students.
- Subject Terms:
- Burke, Billie, 1885-1970 -- Exhibitions.Costume -- History -- 19th century -- Exhibitions.Costume -- History -- 20th century -- Exhibitions.Elsie, Lily, 1886-1962 -- Exhibitions.Fashion -- History -- 19th century -- Exhibitions.Fashion -- History -- 20th century -- Exhibitions.Hading, Jane, d. 1941 -- Exhibitions.Theater -- France -- History -- Exhibitions.Theater -- Great Britain -- History -- Exhibitions.Theater -- United States -- History -- Exhibitions.