Musson, Jeremy, English country house interiors , 2011
- English country house interiors / Jeremy Musson ; foreword by Roy Strong ; photography by Paul Barker ; additional photography by Country life.
- New York, NY : Rizzoli, 2011.
- Physical Description:
- 272 p. : col. ill. ; 32 cm.
- Reference LibraryNK2043 .M87 2011 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Reference Library is closed until further notice. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
A highly detailed look at the English country house interior, offering unprecedented access to England's finest rooms. In this splendid book, renowned historian Jeremy Musson explores the interiors and decoration of the great country houses of England, offering a brilliantly detailed presentation of the epitome of style in each period of the country house, including the great Jacobean manor house, the Georgian mansion, and the Gothic Revival castle. For the first time, houses known worldwide for their exquisite architecture and decoration--including Wilton, Chatsworth, and Castle Howard--are seen in unprecedented detail.
- Introduction -- Hatfield House : the courtly Jacobean interior -- Wilton House : the courtly Caroline interior -- Boughton House : the taste for France -- Chatsworth : the English Baroque interior -- Castle Howard : the imagination of Vanbrugh -- Houghton Hall : the Palladian interior -- Holkam Hall : the Palladian interior -- Harewood House : the genius of Robert Adam I -- The genius of Robert Adam II -- Goodwood House : the Regency revolution in taste -- Regency reinvention : some houses revisited -- Arundel Castle : the Gothic Revival interior -- Waddesdon Manor : the inspiration of the chateau -- Berkeley Castle : the castle of taste -- Parham House : the cult of the manor house -- Living Interiors : the English country house interior today.
- Subject Terms:
- Country homes -- England.Interior decoration -- England.