Conference on Book Trade History (31st : 2009 : Bloomsbury, London, England), Publishing the fine and applied arts, 1500-2000 , 2012
- Publishing the fine and applied arts, 1500-2000 / edited by Robin Myers, Michael Harris and Giles Mandelbrote.
- London : The British Library ; 2012.
New Castle, DE : Oak Knoll Press, 2012.
- Physical Description:
- xv, 194 pages : illustrations (some color) ; 24 cm.
- Reference LibraryZ291.4 .C66 2009 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Reference Library is closed until further notice. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- "All but one of the essays in this collection are based on papers given at the 31st annual conference on book trade history, held at the Foundling Museum in Brunswick Square, Bloomsbury, on 29 and 30 November 2009"--Acknowledgements.
"Illustrated collection of eight essays examining the relationship between print and art from the sixteenth through the twentieth century. Explores the role of the book trade in the dissemination of artistic theory, fashion, and practice, and the influence of aesthetic trends on book design. Part of the Publishing Pathways series"--Provided by publisher.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- It's pretty, but is it art? / Mirjam Foot -- Metal-cut border ornaments in Parisian-printed books of hours as design sources for sixteenth-century English works of art / Malcolm Jones -- Publishing Palladio in England, 1650-1750 / Charles Hind -- The young-mans time well spent : learning to draw from a master / Meghan Doherty -- Building a library : evidence from Sir John Soane's archive / Susan Palmer -- Colour printing and design reform : Owen Jones and the birth of chromolithography / Abraham Thomas -- Art publishing and the leisure market, from the 1840s to the 1870s / Rowan Watson -- The art collector and the catalogue from the early 1620s to the early 2000s / Charles Sebag-Montefiore.
- Subject Terms:
- Art publishing -- Europe -- History -- Congresses.Book industries and trade -- Europe -- History -- Congresses.Illustration of books -- Europe -- History -- Congresses.