- Jersey, 1860.
- Physical Description:
- 1 v. ( leaves) ; 21 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsSH390.5.G7 J45 1860Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Archives & Manuscripts
- Bound in contemporary red patterned paper boards, with roan back; original green silk ties mostly lacking. To the front cover is mounted (within a gilt frame) an engraving titled "Port du Moulin, Sark" and signed "London, Harwood, 26 Fenchurch St., March 11th, 1845."
Album of 37 specimens of seaweed (algae), compiled by an unidentified collector. Specimens are pressed and pasted onto small blank sheets of paper (with beveled corners), which are in turn pasted into the blank leaves of an album. Each leaf bears from one to four specimens. The scientific name (genus and species) is recorded directly below each specimen, in pen and brown ink. The present album includes more broad-fronded algae than many comparable works. All specimens are well preserved and retain a fair amount of color.
The title leaf bears an unidentified specimen of seaweed, the fronds of which frame the title: "Jersey Algae. 1860." Presumably all the specimens in the present were collected in Jersey, or the Channel Islands.
- Subject Terms:
- Botanical specimens -- Collection and preservation.Botanical specimens -- Great Britain -- Channel Islands.Marine algae -- Great Britain -- Channel Islands -- Specimens.Pressed flower pictures.Sark (Channel Islands)
Engravings -- 1845.
- [Unidentified title page specimen]
- Plocamium coccineum. Enteromorpha compressa
- Padina pavonia
- Bryopsis hypnoides. Griffithsia setacea
- Polysiphonia nigrescens
- Callophyllis laciniata. Cladophora pellucida
- Gragilaria confervoides
- Bonnemaisonica asparagoides. Cladophora rupestris
- Rhodymenia palmata
- Polysiphonia fibrata
- Dasya venusta, very rare. Ectocarpus littoralis. Ulva latissima. Lomentaria kaliformis
- Polysiphonia elongata
- Chondria tenuissima. Phyllophora rubens
- Ptilota plumosa. Gigartina mamillosa
- Dudresnaia coccinea, very rare. Cladophora laetevirens. Geranium nodosum
- Laurencia obtusa. Asperococcus echinatus
- Griffithsia equisetifolia
- Wormskioldia sanguinea
- Laurencia pinnatifida. Dictyota dichotoma
- Porphyra laciniata. Rhodymenia palmetta. Polysiphonia fastigiata
- Cystoseira ericoides. Calliblepharis ciliata.
Jersey Algae, 1860. Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.