A synoptical compend of British botany : (from the class Monandria to polygamia inclusive) arranged after the Linnean system : and containing the essential characters of the genera, the specific characters, English names, places of growth, soil and situation, colour of the flowers, times of flowering, duration, and references to figures / by John Galpine.
- Salisbury : Printed by B.C. Collins, for S. Bagster, Strand, and J. White, Fleet-Street, London, 1806.
- Physical Description:
- viii,  p. in various pagings : ill ; 16 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsQK306 .G35 1806Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- "On 1 January 1806 Galpine published A synoptical compend of British botany, his translation of Compendium florae Britannicae (1800) by Sir James Edward Smith ... Galpine's Compend comprised all Smith's genera, including those in the third volume of Flora Britannica (1804), except the cryptogams. It gave references to illustrations, mostly in English Botany (1790-1814, 36 vols.) by J. Sowerby and J.E. Smith, and was designed for taking on botanizing excursions, using its tabular check-list arrangement in the new, pocket-size, duodecimo format."--Dictionary of national biography.
Frontispiece engraving by James Neagle; after (James George?) Bubb
DNB, v. 21, p. 336
Freeman, R.B. British natural history books, 1295
- Subject Terms:
- Bagster, S. -- Publisher.Botany -- Great Britain.Collins, B.C. -- Printer.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.Natural history -- Study and teaching.Plants -- Classification.Vegetation classification -- Great Britain.White, J. -- Publisher.
YCBA Collections Search
Galpine, John, 1769-1806, A synoptical compend of British botany , 1806
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.