Poempondscroll / [Helen Douglas and Valerie Gillies].
- Additional Title(s):
Poem pond scroll
- [Yarrow] : [Weproductions], 
- Physical Description:
- 1 scroll : col. ill. ; 5.7 meters x 21 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN7433.4.D68 P64 2010 Flat AYale Center for British Art, Friends of British Art FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Related Content:
- View the digital e-scroll for The Pond at Deuchar
- "In 2010, Douglas made the hand scroll poempondscroll, in which images of the pond near which she lives were linked seamlessly, phrase by phrase, into a long narrative. This work led directly to The Pond at Deuchar in 2011, which was digitally printed on a Chinese paper and measured over fourteen meters long. The continuous digital photographic files used for printing this hand scroll have been directly transposed into the digital e-scroll. This process thereby has made something formerly published, of necessity, in limited numbers into an amazingly accessible and affordable work of art, remaining true to the 'democratic' origins of artists' books."--Clive Phillpot, from Of green leaf, bird and flower, p. 216.
"This scroll was made in collaboration with poet Valerie Gillies, and evolved out of a commission from Dundee University for the AHRC funded research Poetry Beyond Text: Vision, Text + Cognitio."--Weproductions website.
"Scroll, printed on Chinese paper, ultra chrome inks. Edition of 4."--Weproductions website.
Of green leaf, bird, and flower: artists' books and the natural world, p. 216
"The reflective expanse and circle of the pond at Deuchar Mill inspired Douglas to explore the scroll format, and gave Valerie Gillies the idea of writing a poem in Chinese form using couplets to encircle the creatures which live in the pond. The result, poempondscroll, is a horizontal hand scroll over 5 metres long, which visually evokes light and reflections on water, with an intergrated text that merges and disappears within the rendered details of water insects, rushes and the pond itself."--Weproductions website.
- Subject Terms:
- Artists' books -- Great Britain.Ponds -- Pictorial works.Reflections.Scrolls (Decorative arts)Visual poetry.Weproductions -- Publisher.Women in natural history.
- Artists' books.
Scrolls (Visual works)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.