Sixteen contemporary wood engravers : a collection of wood engravings printed from the original blocks to accompany an exhibition.
- Newcastle : David Esslemont, 1982.
- Physical Description:
- , 16,  leaves : ill. ; 27 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsMSS 17 Moss no. 11Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Roger W. MossAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Related Content:
- View finding aid for the Roger W. Moss Collection of manuscript, original art and printed material by and about Richard Shirley Smith
- Foreword by Anthony Tuck and Dudley Wilson.
Each engraving is printed on a single page without text. Wood engravings by Leslie Benenson, Simon Brett, Clair Dalby, David Esslemont, Anne Jope, Simon King, John Lawrence, Angela Lemaire, Garrick Palmer, Hilary Paynter, Monica Poole, Peter Reddick, Michael Renton, Richard Shirley Smith [leaf 14], George Tute and Sarah Van Niekerk. The colophon includes a printed ex libris for Dudley Wilson by Leo Wyatt as a tribute to the artist who had just died.
"This book was designed and printed by David Esslemont on a Columbian press. The edition consists of 250 copies on Zerkall mould-made paper."--Colophon.
"Shirley Smith is here represented by his wood engraving 'Thais'. Bain assigns it no. 257 for its appearance in David Burnett's Vines (1984), although it clearly predates that printing. The exhibition which this collection of wood engravings accompanied was a tribute to the growing interest in wood engraving in the North East of England. It was a joint venture sponsored partly by the Durham Light Infantry Museum and Arts Centre and partly by Collingwood College in the University of Durham."--Moss.
Moss, R.W. Richard Shirley Smith, 11
Bain, I. Wood engravings of Richard Shirley Smith, 257
BAC: British Art Center copy is no. 126 of 250, signed by Esslemont. Bound in publisher's original printed wrappers, sewn. Publisher's prospectus laid in.
BAC: From the Roger W. Moss Collection of manuscript, original art and printed material by and about Richard Shirley Smith.
- Subject Terms:
- Wood-engraving, British -- 20th century -- Exhibitions.
- Wood engravings -- 1982.
- Stag's head / David Esslemont. 1982
- Durham Cathedral / Leslie Benenson. 1981
- Lustration / Simon Brett. 1981
- Brik kilns, Ruabon / Claire Dalby. 1980
- Violin and flute / David Esslemont. 1980
- Looking back / Anne Jope. 1981
- His waistcoat to a cassock grew / Simon King. 1981
- Militia on parade / John Lawrence. 1981
- High and low / Angela Lemaire. 1976
- Whaling / Garrick Palmer. 1974
- Up Marden / Hilary Paynter. 1979
- Hedgerow / Monica Poole. 1982
- Poppies / Peter Reddick. 1982
- Pine trees / Michael Renton. 1974
- Thais / Richard Shirley Smith. 1981
- Night sunflower / George Tute. 1976
- North Leigh from Wilcote / Sarah Van Niekerk. 1981
- Ex libris / Leo Wyatt. 1978.