Gruffyground Press : a bibliography, 1972-2007 / written by Mark Askam.
- [Hitchin, Hertfordshire] : Chesnut Press, 2007.
- Physical Description:
- 84 p. : ill. ; 30 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsMSS 17 Moss no. 36Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Roger W. MossAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Related Content:
- View finding aid for the Roger W. Moss Collection of manuscript, original art and printed material by and about Richard Shirley Smith
- "Richard Shirley Smith engravings illustrated three books for Anthony Baker's Gruffyground Press: James Reeves, The Closed Door (1976-77) nos. 5a and 5b; Six Hampshire Epitaphs (1978) nos. 6a and 6b; and John Heath-Stubbs, Buzz Buzz (1981) nos. 12a and 12b. Shirley Smith's engravings for Reeves and Heath-Stubbs are reproduced on pp. 41 & 42. Several limited editions of Shirley Smith's engravings were also produced by Gruffyground Press: two editions of the engraving used for The Closed Door [Bain no. 239] (sixty strikes in all); two editions of the engraving used for Six Hampshire Epitaphs [Bain no.240] (one hundred strikes in all); and one edition of the engraving used for Buzz Buzz [Bain no. 251] (one hundred strikes in all). There was also a special run of The Closed Door engraving which Anthony Baker sent out as a Christmas greeting and a postcard version of the same engraving run by Michael Mitchell at the Libanus Press. Mitchell also printed the Buzz Buzz engraving as a Christmas greeting."--Moss.
Moss, R.W. Richard Shirley Smith, 36
Bain, I. Wood engravings of Richard Shirley Smith, 239, 240, 251
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's printed wrappers. Inscribed by Mark Askam on the half title: 'To Richard [Shirley Smith] Love the engravings! Mark / 2nd proof edition (1 of 4 copies) This is an early reading proof--produced digitally of an as-yet-unfinished bibliography. It is not likely to get published in a hard-copy form, but is available as an internet resource.'"
BAC: From the Roger W. Moss Collection of manuscript, original art and printed material by and about Richard Shirley Smith.
- Subject Terms:
- Askam, Mark -- Pres. insc. to Richard Shirley Smith.Chestnut Press -- Publisher.Gruffyground Press -- Bibliography.Private presses -- England -- Catalogs.Shirley Smith, Richard -- Pres. insc. from Mark Askam.
- Wood engravings -- 2007.
- The Gruffyground Press : a brief history
- Gruffyground Press publications
- An illustrative selection of items from the Gruffyground Press
- Greeting cards
- Limited edition prints
- Other prints
- All other ephemenra
- Unpublished items
- The 'terrible rules' of the Gruffyground Press
- A Gruffyground tribute
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.