Letters to his son / Philip Stanhope, Fourth Earl of Chesterfield ; selected, edited and introduced by James Harding ; wood-engravings by Richard Shirley Smith.
- London [England] : Folio Society, 1973.
- Physical Description:
- 201,  p., 1 leaf of plates : ill., facsims., ports. : 23 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsMSS 17 Moss no. 95Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Roger W. MossAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Related Content:
- View finding aid for the Roger W. Moss Collection of manuscript, original art and printed material by and about Richard Shirley Smith
- "Set in 11-point monotype Baskerville with Old Face Open for display and printed in brown and black by W. and J. Mackay. Twelve wood-engraved head-and-shoulder portraits by Shirley Smith [Bain nos. 217-228], printed in pairs, in brown. Each is used twice, in a different combination, so there are twenty-four pairs in all."--Moss.
Title after author's name and before editor's and engraver's name
Publisher's statement before place of publication and date
"The portrait frontispiece is from a painting of Phillip Stanhope, Fourth Earl of Chesterfield, by W. Hoare circa 1743 and is reproduced by courtesy of The National Portrait Gallery, London."--P. 4
"The handwriting in Letters 39 and 43 is reproduced from the first edition (London, 1774) by kind permission of the Trustees of the British Museum."--P. 4
Moss, R.W. Richard Shirley Smith, 95
Bain, I. Wood engravings of Richard Shirley Smith, 217-228
Includes biographical index after text
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's original black buckram with Cockerell marbled paper boards, by W. and J. Mackay. In original slip case.
BAC: From the Roger W. Moss Collection of manuscript, original art and printed material by and about Richard Shirley Smith.
- Subject Terms:
- Chesterfield, Philip Dormer Stanhope, Earl of, 1694-1773. Correspondence.Etiquette -- Early works to 1800.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 18th century.Stanhope, Philip, 1732-1768 -- Correspondence.Young men -- Conduct of life -- Early works to 1800.
Etiquette books -- Great Britain -- 20th century.
Wood engravings -- 1973.
YCBA Collections Search
Chesterfield, Philip Dormer Stanhope, Earl of, 1694-1773, Letters to his son , 1973
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.