Messer Pietro mio : letters between Lucrezia Borgia & Pietro Bembo / translation & preface, Hugh Shankland ; wood engravings, Richard Shirley Smith.
- Marlborough, Wiltshire, England : Libanus Press, 1985.
- Physical Description:
- 46,  p. : ill. ; 27 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsMSS 17 Moss no. 111Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Roger W. MossView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Related Content:
- View finding aid for the Roger W. Moss Collection of manuscript, original art and printed material by and about Richard Shirley Smith
- " This edition is limited to one hundred and fifty copies, numbered 1-135, & A-O for the fifteen special copies with an extra set of prints ...Printed in 14-point Monotype Bembo on Barcham Green handmade Chester."--Colophon.
The 9 extant letters from Lucrezia Borgia to Cardinal Bembo are preserved in the Biblioteca ambrosiana, Milan (Ms. H.246); they were published in 1859 under title: Lettere di Lucrezia Borgia a messer Pietro Bembo. Six were in Italian, 3 in Spanish. Cardinal Bembo's letters were selected from various published and unpublished sources.
Includes 6 poems (1 in Spanish, 5 in Italian) with English translations.
Bibliography: p. 45.
Moss, R.W. Richard Shirley Smith, 111
Bain, I. Wood engravings of Richard Shirley Smith, 265-282
BAC: British Art Center copy is no. 54 of 135, signed by Richard Shirley Smith. Bound in original tan quarter morocco and gilt-stamped boards; in slip case. Two printed prospectuses for this work laid in.
BAC: From the Roger W. Moss Collection of manuscript, original art and printed material by and about Richard Shirley Smith.
- Subject Terms:
- Bembo, Pietro, 1470-1547 -- Correspondence.Borgia, Lucrezia, 1480-1519 -- Correspondence.Humanists -- Italy -- Correspondence.Italy -- Intellectual life -- 1268-1559 -- Sources.Libanus Press -- Publisher.Nobility -- Papal States -- Correspondence.
- Wood engravings -- 1985.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.