Buzz buzz : ten insect poems / John Heath-Stubbs ; with a wood engraving by Richard Shirley Smith.
- Sidcot, Somerset : Gruffyground Press, 1981
- Physical Description:
-  p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsMSS 17 Moss no. 105Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Roger W. MossView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Related Content:
- View finding aid for the Roger W. Moss Collection of manuscript, original art and printed material by and about Richard Shirley Smith
- "According to Mark Askam, Gruffyground Press: A Bibliography, 1972-2007 ... John Heath-Stubbs wrote two slightly different versions of the poem 'Silverfish.' He could not decide which version to use, so it was decided that one half of the publication would be printed with one version of the poem and the other half with the other. ... Being completely blind, John Heath-Stubbs had to have his hand placed in the correct position on each colophon page in order to sign the copies. This accounts for the huge variation in his signatures and their most interesting, if rather illegible, nature."--Moss.
"Designed, handset in Bodoni italic, & printed on Vé́lin d'Arches paper by Michael Mitchell at the Libanus Press, at Marlborough, Wiltshire, for Anthony Baker of the Gruffyground Press, Ladram, Sidcot, Winscombe, Somerset. Richard Shirley Smith's wood engraving is printed from the original block. The cover is Mengei. This edition limited to two hundred copies."--Colophon.
"Shirley Smith pearwood engraving [Rhinoceros Beetle on title page; Bain no. 251] printed from the original block. The Libanus Press logo by Shirley Smith also appears on the colophon page [1975; Bain no. 235]."--Moss.
Moss, R.W. Richard Shirley Smith, 105.
Bain, I. Wood engravings of Richard Shirley Smith, 235, 251
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's original tan wrappers. Signed by John Heath-Stubbs and Richard Shirley Smith. In this copy, the end of line four in the first stanza of "Silverfish" ends with "Secondary Epoch."
BAC: From the Roger W. Moss Collection of manuscript, original art and printed material by and about Richard Shirley Smith.
- Subject Terms:
- English poetry -- 20th century.Gruffyground Press -- Publisher.Insects -- Poetry.Libanus Press -- Printer.
- Wood engravings -- 1981.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.