Six Hampshire epitaphs, 1977
- Six Hampshire epitaphs.
- Sidcot : Gruffyground Press, 1977.
- Physical Description:
-  leaves : ill. ; 16 x 24 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsMSS 17 Moss no. 100Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.Rare Books and ManuscriptsMSS 17 100aYale Center for British Art, Gift of Roger W. MossAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.Rare Books and ManuscriptsMSS 17 100bYale Center for British Art, Gift of Roger W. MossAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Related Content:
- View finding aid for the Roger W. Moss Collection of manuscript, original art and printed material by and about Richard Shirley Smith
- "Designed and printed in Bell type on an Albion press by George Tee at the Cernel Press, Cerne Abbas, Dorset. Published by Anthony Baker at the Gruffyground Press, Ladram, Sidcot, Winscombe, Somerset. The wood engraving on the title page is by Richard Shirley Smith [Churchyard, 1977; Bain no. 240]. The epitaph hunters were Anthony Baker, Michelle Jeffery, Kenneth Fonteneau & Gillian Fonteneau. 110 copies on Portals mould-made paper, 20 on Hosho handmade paper."--Colophon.
"When the corrected edition finally surfaced it was a great disappointment and Anthony soon disowned it due to its particularly bad printing. He was so unhappy with the copies that he only ever distribruted a handful. Most have to this day remained uncollated, unfolded, unsewn and without covers ..."--Askam.
Epitaphs from graveyards and churches in Hampshire.
Askam, M. Gruffyground Press, 6
Moss, R.W. Richard Shirley Smith, 100
Moss, R.W. Richard Shirley Smith, 100a
Moss, R.W. Richard Shirley Smith, 100b
Bain, I. Wood engravings of Richard Shirley Smith, 240
BAC: British Art Center has two copies, including one of the 20 special edition copies printed in black on white Hosh handmade paper in an unprinted French folded dark blue Mingei handmade paper cover (Moss 100), and one of the 110 standard edition copies printed in black on pale blue portals mould-made paper (Moss 100a), unbound. Has housed with it a small printed memorial by Anthony Baker in honor of his mother, Coronation Rose Baker (née Tooze), the front cover of which features Shirley Smith's wood engraving (Bain 240). Also has housed with it the business card of Mark Askam (Chestnut Press), printed in letterpress.
BAC: From the Roger W. Moss Collection of manuscript, original art and printed material by and about Richard Shirley Smith.
- Subject Terms:
- Epitaphs -- England.Gruffyground Press -- Publisher.
- Wood engravings -- 1977.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.