The prettiest love letters in the world : letters between Lucrezia Borgia & Pietro Bembo 1503 to 1519 / translation and preface Hugh Shankland ; wood engravings Richard Shirley Smith.
- Additional Title(s):
Messer Pietro mio
- Boston : David R. Godine, 
- Physical Description:
- 46,  p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsMSS 17 Moss no. 115Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Roger W. MossView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Related Content:
- View finding aid for the Roger W. Moss Collection of manuscript, original art and printed material by and about Richard Shirley Smith
- "First published in a limited edition in the U.K. in 1985 as Messer Pietro mio by Libanus Press, Marlborough. This edition first published in the U.K. by Collins Harvill, London"--Title page verso.
"First U.S. edition published in 1987 by David R. Godine ... First softcover printing, 2001"--Title page verso.
The 9 extant letters from Lucrezia Borgia to Cardinal Bembo are preserved in the Biblioteca ambrosiana, Milan (Ms. H.246).
Includes 6 poems (1 in Spanish, 5 in Italian) with English translations.
Moss, R.W. Richard Shirley Smith, 115
Includes bibliographical references (p. 45).
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's original wrappers.
BAC: From the Roger W. Moss Collection of manuscript, original art and printed material by and about Richard Shirley Smith.
- Subject Terms:
- Bembo, Pietro, 1470-1547. Correspondence.Borgia, Lucrezia, 1480-1519 -- Correspondence.Humanists -- Italy -- Papal States -- Correspondence.Italy -- Intellectual life -- 1268-1559 -- Sources.Nobility -- Italy -- Papal States -- Correspondence.Papal States -- Nobility -- Correspondence.
YCBA Collections Search
Borgia, Lucrezia, 1480-1519, The prettiest love letters in the world , 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.