In praise of Erasmus.
- Additional Title(s):
- Hermitage, Berkshire : Libanus Press, 1977.
- Physical Description:
- 1 sheet : ill. ; 31 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsMSS 17 Moss no. 99Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Roger W. MossView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Related Content:
- View finding aid for the Roger W. Moss Collection of manuscript, original art and printed material by and about Richard Shirley Smith
- Originally issued in printed envelope, with title: Erasmus. A keepsake illustrated by Richard Shirley Smith and printed at the Libanus Press, Hermitage, Berkshire.
"This broadside was printed at the Libanus Press, Hermitage, Berkshire, in November 1977, and is limited to one hundred and fifty copies signed by the engraver ... The text is handset in 18-point Perpetua type, printed on dampened Amalfi white laid paper on the artist's Albion handpress of 1860."--Verso.
"Quarto single sheet (302 x 211 mm) ... Wood-engraved portrait of Erasmus [1965; Bain no. 82] above two paragraphs from In Praise of Folly (1508) with Shirley Smith's engraved 'cone ribbons' logo for Libanus Press [Bain no. 235] on verso. ... This keepsake marks the beginning of Richard Shirley Smith's long and fruitful association with Libanus Press. Michael Mitchell has been an important friend and collaborator over several decades. He exhibited Shirley Smith's work at his Katharine House Gallery, commissioned and published many of his illustrations and engravings, and expertly printed many of his books and bookplates."--Moss.
Moss, R.W. Richard Shirley Smith, 99
Bain, I. Wood engravings of Richard Shirley Smith, 82, 235
BAC: British Art Center copy is no. 88 of a limited edition of 150 copies signed by the engraver. In original Libanus Press envelope.
BAC: From the Roger W. Moss Collection of manuscript, original art and printed material by and about Richard Shirley Smith.
- Subject Terms:
- Erasmus, Desiderius, -1536.
Wood engravings -- 1977.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.