Othello : a bestiary (with floral additions) / [illustrations by Ian Whitmore].
- Additional Title(s):
William Shakespeare's Othello : a bestiary, with floral additions.
- [Brighton, England] : [Borbonesa], 
- Physical Description:
- 1 folded sheet ( p.) : ill. ; 10 x 864 cm, folded to 10 x 16 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN7433.4.W555 O84 2011Yale Center for British Art, Friends of British Art FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- '''Othello--a bestiary (with floral additions)' is a reworking of William Shakespeare's 'Othello' as an illustrated collection of common, rare and fabulous animals, hand-cut from paper by Ian Whitmore. All faunal forms inhabiting the speeches of Shakespeare's human characters are shown. References to monsters and undefined creatures and beasts are marked with offcuts. The red dots represent devils. Based (structurally) on a 1968 verson of the play edited by Kenneth Muir and published by Penguin Books."--Verso of front cover.
"Borbonesa is a group of makers of things, collaborating to create experimental multi-authored works. These works often find manifestation as published papers, but also as exhibitions, public interventions and private dinner parties. The group has come to be know as Borbonesa, after the title of its first printed volume"--Borbonesa website.
"Illustration: Ian Whitmore. Design & layout: Matt Fleming and Lee Shearman. Foreword: Anna Fewster. Screenprinting: Chris Ratcliffe. Letterpressing: Lampyridae Press. Bookbinding: Lucy May Schofield."--Front pastedown.
Paper wrap-around has title: William Shakespeare's Othello : a bestiary, with floral additions.
The artist's original cut-paper toad, used to create the screen-printed toad illustrations in the present work, is now in the collections of the Yale Center for British Art (N7433.4.W555 O84 2011a).
Of green leaf, bird, and flower: artists' books and the natural world, p. 207
BAC: British Art Center copy signed by Whitmore on the title page. Accompanied by an invitation to launch events for the present work; printed on thick paperboard.
- Subject Terms:
- Animals in art.Artists' books -- Great Britain.Bestiaries.Borbonesa -- Publisher.Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616 -- Characters -- Animals.Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616. Othello -- In art.
- Artists' books.
Accordion fold format (Binding)
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.