Messer Pietro mio : the engravings / Richard Shirley Smith.
- [Marlborough, Wiltshire, England] : Libanus Press, 1985.
- Physical Description:
-  prints : wood engravings ; 31 x 26 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsMSS 17 Moss no. 112Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Roger W. MossAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Related Content:
- View finding aid for the Roger W. Moss Collection of manuscript, original art and printed material by and about Richard Shirley Smith
- "The engravings for Messer Pietro Mio were cut between 1977 and 1985 and published in 1985. According to the prospectus the engravings reflect 'the metaphorical, heraldic and surreal elements contained in the letters.' They were the last major suite of wood engravings Shirley Smith produced before a detached retina at the age of fifty forced him to stop engraving and to concentrate on drawn images. According to Shirley Smith, only 30 of the projected 100 boxed sets of the engravings were actually assembled and distributed."--Moss.
Moss, R.W. Richard Shirley Smith, 112
Bain, I. Wood engravings of Richard Shirley Smith, 265-282
BAC: British Art Center copy is set no. 23, each numbered and signed by the artist. In publisher's original clamshell box. Prospectus for the Messer Pietro Mio project together with a copy of Libanus Press, Book List for 1986 (4 p.) laid in.
BAC: From the Roger W. Moss Collection of manuscript, original art and printed material by and about Richard Shirley Smith.
Boxed set of 17 wood engravings (on 12 sheets) mounted in twelve window mats, each signed and numbered by Richard Shirley Smith. The engravings were conceived as illustrations for: Shankland, Hugh [translator & preface]. Messer Pietro Mio. Letters between Lucrezia Borgia & Pietro Bembo. Marlborough, Wilshire: Libanus Press, MCMLXXXV.
- Subject Terms:
- Bembo, Pietro, 1470-1547.Borgia, Lucrezia, 1480-1519.Libanus Press -- Publisher.
- Wood engravings -- 1985.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.