Bog=mawnog, grid reference S020322 29256 : a catalogue of competing responses to a site of catastrophic peat loss in the Black Mountains / Lin Charlston.
- Ludlow : Charlston Books, c2011.
- Physical Description:
-  p. : col. ill. ; 11 x 27 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN7433.4.C434 B64 2011+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Friends of British Art FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- "Digitally printed codex. Hand bound. In the hot summer of '76, a fire removed a large area of surface vegetation from a blanket bog high up in the Black Mountains of Wales. The plants have never grown back and the exposed peat is like a huge scar on the landscape. Without its protective covering, the peat is gradually being eroded away by the wind and the weather. Bog=Mawnog highlights the contrast between objective and subjective experience. Information about peat bogs is easy to access. The Biology of Peatlands by Hakan Rydin and John Jeglum (Oxford University Press, 2006) was one of my starting points. By contrast, it is an exhausting struggle to climb to the hostile, weather-beaten, breathtaking uplands to experience this peat bog first hand. A glossary of objective 'facts' is printed onto a double-page panoramic view of the mountain top. This objectivity is challenged by isolated, randomly distributed words, my subjective responses to the site. The binding of the book appears to be lacking, unfinished. This is how the peat seems without its vegetation--unbound, uncovered."--Artist's statement.
Limited edition of 50 copies.
BAC: British Art Center copy is no. 2 of a limited edition of 50 copies. Signed by the author.
- Subject Terms:
- Artists' books -- Great Britain.Bog ecology -- Wales.Bogs -- Wales.Charlston Books -- Publisher.Natural disasters -- Wales.Photography, Artistic.
- Livres d'artistes.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.