Shirley Smith, Richard, The story of the Venetian villas, c1973
- The story of the Venetian villas [filmstrip] / Compiled, annotated and photographed by Richard Shirley Smith.
- London ; Visual Publications, c1973.
New York : Visual Publications, c1973.
- Physical Description:
- 4 rolls (36 fr. each) : col. ; 35 mm. + 4 scripts and teacher's guide.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsMSS 17 Moss no. 90Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Roger W. MossAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Related Content:
- View finding aid for the Roger W. Moss Collection of manuscript, original art and printed material by and about Richard Shirley Smith
- Parts 1 and 2 outline the architecture and history of Venice from ca. 1300-1800. Emphasis is on Palladio and his influence on later architects. Parts 3 and 4 examine interiors, furnishing, and landscaping of the villas.
"In 1969 and 1970, while Shirley Smith was Head of the Art Department at Marlborough College, he travelled to the Vento to photograph art and architecture. A third expedition was made in 1971 and this set of four film strips was the result. While the effort was not a financial success, the experience of closely examining the works of Palladio, Veronese, and the sculptor Vittoria at such sites as Maser and the Villa Barbaro influenced his later murals and framed paintings. ."--Moss.
Moss, R.W. Richard Shirley Smith, 90
BAC: British Art Center copy includes the films housed in the publisher's original brown paperboard box. The texts have been quarter bound in black book cloth with marbled paper-cover boards.
BAC: From the Roger W. Moss Collection of manuscript, original art and printed material by and about Richard Shirley Smith.
- Short history of Venice -- Up to Palladio -- Palladio and his influence -- Exterior of the villas and their surroundings -- Interiors of the villas and their contents.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture, Domestic -- Italy -- Venice.Architecture, Gothic -- Italy -- Venice.Architecture, Renaissance -- Italy -- Venice.Mannerism (Art) -- Italy -- Venice.Palladio, Andrea, 1508-1580.Shirley Smith, Richard -- Bookplate.Veronese, 1528-1588.Visual Publications -- Publisher.Vittoria, Alessandro, 1525-1608.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.