Fragment by fragment : signs of the peat bog disperse into the wind / Lin Charlston.
- Ludlow : Charlston Books, 2011.
- Physical Description:
-  p.,  leaves of plates : col. ill.. ; 15 x 28 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN7433.4.C434 F73 2011+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Friends of British Art FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Limited edition of 50 copies.
BAC: British Art Center copy is no. 1 of a limited edition of 50 copies, signed by the artist. In original black paper wrappers.
AOB has copy no. 25, signed by the artist.
"Hand stitched digitally printed codex interleaved with tissue paper. In the hot summer of '76, a fire removed a large area of surface vegetation from a blanket bog high up in the Black Mountains of Wales. The plants have never grown back and the exposed peat is like a huge scar on the landscape. Without its protective covering, the peat is gradually being eroded away by the wind and the weather. Inspired by Jesper Hoffmeyer's book Signs of Meaning in the Universe (Indiana University Press, 1996), I made hundreds of drawings of tiny fragments of peat. En masse, the drawings were transformed into a written language, obscure and unfathomable, reminiscent of Xu Bing's Book from the Sky. In the artist's book, Fragment by Fragment, a peat bog disperses into the wind after a devestating fire. My semi-legible font 'peatbog' is based on sketches of peat fragments."--Artist's statement.
- Subject Terms:
- Artists' books -- Great Britain -- Specimens.Bog ecology -- Wales -- In art.Bogs -- Wales -- In art.Charlston Books -- Publisher.Charlston, Lin -- Autograph. (AOB copy)Concrete poetry.Natural disasters -- Wales -- In art.Peat bog ecology -- Wales -- In art.Peat bogs -- Wales -- In art.Wildfires -- Wales -- In art.
- Artist's books -- England -- Shropshire -- 2011.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.