Childe Roland, Boat bottle book = Cwch costrel cyfrol = Bouquin bateau bouteille , 1991
Boat bottle book = Cwch costrel cyfrol = Bouquin bateau bouteille / Childe Roland.
- Llangollen, Wales : Childe Roland, 1991.
- Physical Description:
-  leaves ; 13 cm + 1 folded paper boat in a glass bottle
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN7433.4.C445 B63 1991 FlatYale Center for British Art, Friends of British Art FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Consists of a small bottle with cork stopper, with a paper boat inside, laid in the center of  leaves of blue paper. Cover is white card, the whole housed in a white card case.
"The book-bound object attempts to combine the elements of a ship in a bottle with those of message in a bottle through the agency of a paper boat, which can be entertained as the ultimate message in a bottle since the request of all who are stranded is for a ship to rescue them. There is no need then for the message to be written, the folds that form the paper boat should suffice as a distress signal. However, if one was to undo these folds, one would be confronted with a blank page, perhaps the true contents of the message. Moreover, the human body with its convoluted brain, the planet earth with its various species, the universe with its spiral galaxies are each a bottle with a message inside. One cannot help wondering about the nature and character of the sender."--Artist's statement.
- Subject Terms:
- Artists' books -- Wales.Childe Roland -- Publisher.Ship models -- In art.
- Artists' books -- Wales.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.